Saturday, August 21, 2010

How to deal with real pain when doctor doesnt believe the pain is there?

I have had a certain pain for approx 1 year, I went through a surgery approx 4 months ago to relieve the pain, it failed. I was sent to pain management, because of one question I answered I didnt use the terminology the pain management doctor wanted, he went on a rant about it and told my Primary Care Physician, that i wasnt in pain and to discontinue pain meds. In the doctor to doctor notes it says im anti-social and ';concrete'; in my thinking since I would not blindly accept the terminology the pain management doctor wanted me to use. Now all of a sudden my PCP thinks the pain isnt there and basically told me ';be a man deal with it';





I have less than 2 months worth of pain medication. What should I do when I run out? Without the pain management I can not walk appropriately and my job requires fast paced walking on the verge of running. The current pain management takes the ';edge'; off the pain, it doesnt releive 100% of the pain and I dont get ';high'; off of it. It is only enough so i can function enough to be able to work.





Due to insurance I am not able to go to another pain management doctor.How to deal with real pain when doctor doesnt believe the pain is there?
To learn appropriate coping strategies to deal with the pain, ask either of your doctors to refer you for cognitive behavioral therapy...an often essential part of chronic pain management.How to deal with real pain when doctor doesnt believe the pain is there?
Your Doctor was right, man up nancy and don't be such a sissy about it. Take up alcoholism, it worked for me. I'm on my third liver now and having the time of my life, thanks motorcycle riders!
I would try to continue to see the pain management doc you are currently seeing. I'm sorry but your story does seem sketchy for all parties involved. I sincerely doubt because of one answer, the doctor dismisses your complaints of pain. Perhaps if you described what your pain actually was, what surgery you had (whose decision it was to get surgery), the context of the conversation with the pain doc, what you think it is, what the pain doc want to call it, etc... You're too vague to see the full picture.





If you run out of narcotic pain meds, hopefully they will prescribe some other medicine, whether its a nerve altering drug, or a pain numbing medicine. You can always take ibuprofen on your own... it will not relieve the pain nearly as much, and you run the risk of developing ulcers.

No comments:

Post a Comment